Story Lab Biography

(Image: Michrofiction Source: Printmag)

(Note: This story is about a pretty recent incident when a squirrel harassed me outside my apartment complex. It is written in the third person. I decided to write the story like a diary entry, which has been the format I've used for bast biography entries.)

The quarantine has kept me indoors most of the past few weeks. Because of this, my skin has pretty much forgotten the feeling of sunlight and my energy levels deplete much fast than they used to. I do my best to enjoy the outdoors at least once a week by hammocking by the pool at my apartment complex. I've found two trees the perfect distance apart and a well-shaded area. The pool is closed off, so this is the closest thing to sunbathing I can find. 

I set up my hammock and started reading on my Kindle when I heard a noise coming from up above. It was such a bizarre sound: a wheezing, hissing noise like a diabetic snake. I glanced up and saw a squirrel perched on the branches above. I figured the sound was coincidental and kept reading. The squirrel did not stop making the sound. I looked up again, this time I noticed that the squirrel was looking right at me. This discovery weirded me out quite a lot. I've never had a squirrel get aggressive at me before. I started to brainstorm ways to make the squirrel leave me alone. There was a pile of pine cones nearby. I grabbed one and fired one off across the bow of the squirrel's branch, just to scare it off. I promise I wasn't trying to hit the squirrel. At this point anyway, The squirrel barely moved an inch. The wheezing sound became more frantic.

(Continued in Part 2)

Comments