Topic Research

(Image: Funeral Pyre Source: TreeHugger)

I would like to do a story about every one of my brainstorm topics at some point, but I think the topic that will require the most research is the Kurukshetra War. The War has so many interesting characters and feuds, and I want to explore that rich character landscape. There are a couple different interpretations of the Kurukshetra War I'm considering.

1st Topic: Profiles of each of the strongest warriors on each side

I enjoy watching athlete profiles on television, especially when the athletes are matched up to their opponents. Each warrior of the Pandavas and the Kauvaras all have distinct traits that distinguish themselves from the rest. For example, I could start by matching up Yudhishthira and Bhishma. I could talk about Yudhishthira's prowess with the spear and chariot vs. Bhishma's celestial power. I could do profiles on multiple characters as though it were an upcoming sporting event and then predict the different side's odds of winning. 


2nd Topic: Cricket match 

You mentioned in your comments that cricket is the major sport in India and that it might make more sense to make Cricket the sport I focus on in my story. I don't know much about Cricket, but a friend of mine has given me a basic rundown of the sport. You also mentioned that it might make sense to modernize the story and base human characters off of their god counterparts, and I will probably do so. I still think many characters of the Kurukshetra War could fit nicely into several Cricket positions. Bhima and his mace would make a great batsman and Arjuna and his bow would make a great bowler. 


3rd Topic: Arjuna and Bhishma

Arjuna has a very strange relationship with his granduncle that I would like to explore. Even though this topic isn't as creative as the above two, I think writing it would teach me a lot about the family dynamics of the Mahabharata. I would focus the story on Arjuna and explore his trepidation about fighting his own granduncle. There could be flashbacks to his youth when Bhishma tutored Arjuna in religion, science, and warfare. The Kurukshetra War is a heartbreaking one because family must fight family, and Arjuna's destiny to face his granduncle is a nice microcosm of that sad reality.

Comments