Reading Notes– Mahabarata C

(Image: Krishna's Army Source: Wikipedia)

Reading Notes: I enjoy the parallels between Rama and the Pandavas. I'm really starting to gravitate towards the Pandavas over the Kuavaras, which I suppose was inevitable based on the contents of the story. I didn't think that one family would be obviously more sympathetic than the other going into the readings, but the Kuavaras seem so evil, especially Prince Duryodhana. I suppose that I didn't anticipate a great hero like Bhishma fighting for an evil side, but I've done more research, and I know now that Bhishma only leads the Kuavara forces reluctantly. Overall, I've been very impressed with the Indian Epics for not having black and white characters. No one, even Ravana, is completely evil– everyone has some sort of sympathetic trait. I know that Prince Duryodhana is very courageous, but he is also arrogant and conniving. I hope that his character is balanced out with more sympathetic traits. 

I'd still like to write about the different exiles throughout the Indian Epic, and how they relate and differ with each other. Is there particular religious significance to exile? Is it related to self-imposed isolation? Draupadi is a truly noble character– a story based on her perspective would be quite fun to write. She isn't a great warrior like her sons or husbands, but she possesses great strength beyond theirs. 

My research suggests that Arjuna is kind of the Rama of the Mahabharata. I would like to research the differences between the son of a god and the avatar of a god (the differences between their purposes on earth). Arjuna's relationship with his father is interesting! I could write a diary-esque story about the difficulties of having a god as a parent. Lots of time with the Pandavas, wish we could see more of the Kuavaras. 

Hey, nice! The story needed some monkeys– it's nice to see a familiar character. Karna seems like a cool guy, but still a little evil. The riddles scene is reminiscent of the riddles scene in the Hobbit, it might be fun to do something with that. Man, Draupadi's husbands are the worst. 

While I miss the monkey army, Krishna's army seems pretty cool. I'm looking forward to reading about how the different heroes face off against each other. I'm hoping that it will be similar to the heroes fighting in the Iliad!

Comments